The Assignment tool manages the online submission and marking of assignments for students. Students can submit, check against Turnitin and resubmit their assignments online.
Once assignments are submitted, staff can:
- Check submission times
- Grade assignments
- Leave feedback
- Return submissions with comments
- Download assignments as zip files
- Sort assignments by students
Who in Learning Innovations can help me with this?
We can support unit teams in the setup of any online Quiz, Assignment dropboxes, Grades, Rubrics, and Groups. Please use the following web form to lodge a request for this with learning Innovations.
- How to grant special access to individuals
- Instructions on marking online using the assignment tool in CloudDeakin
Tips and hints using assignments
- A sample assignment dropbox with the correct naming convention is included as part of the unit template.
- Turnitin must be enabled for final assessment submission dropboxes. Turnitin is software that has been integrated with CloudDeakin to detect text in assignment submissions that may not be original. Turnitin generates an ‘originality report’ that sets out the quantity and source of any text that is matched with other sources in the Turnitin database. More information on Turnitin is available in the DTeach Turnitin Guide.
- Students can check their drafts via a central location in the Unistart CloudDeakin site. Here students can learn more about Academic Integrity and learn about their responsibilities relating to plagiarism or collusion in submitting
- All assignment dropboxes require a due date and the end date. Please note that the end date of the folder can only be open for an additional 5 days past the due date. The maximum end date of any assignment dropbox for a given trimester period should be the date when the final results are released.
- Turnitin Grademark can be used to markup assignments for feedback. Do not sync the Turnitin Grademark marks with CloudDekain (D2L) grades, and do not use the Turnitin rubrics tool, but instead use the CloudDeakin (D2L) assignment rubrics tool.
- You no longer have to create a late submission folder. CloudDeakin has a function called “Has End Date”. Which means any submissions submitted after the due date will be marked late between the “Has Due Date” date/time to the “Has End Date” date/time. Students do not see the “Has End Date” date/time in the properties of the assignment folder.
- Students who have been granted late submissions should be added to the special access under the restrictions tab of the assignment folder settings
- You cannot change the folder type from individual to a group or vice versa once it has been setup. You will have to recreate the folder if you need to change
- If your assignment is a group assignment you will need to setup your groups first before creating the assignment The automatic creation of groups only works when students are enrolled in the unit as it bases the number of groups created on the number of students enrolled. Students are enrolled in the unit 1 week before the trimester starts. Contact BL Learning Innovations Support for assistance with creating groups.
- If students are required to upload more than 1 document to the assignment folder you cannot use the option overwrite submissions in the submission options for the properties for the assignment